BPSC syllabus 2022-23: For the last few years, Bihar Public Commission (BPSC) has been continuously trying to conduct the state services exam regularly. Thousands of candidates prepare for Bpsc exams regularly. Some of them are also preparing for other state services exams like MPSC, GPSC, JPSC, and so on. Also, a few of them prepare for UPSC exams. So, it becomes crucial for all the ongoing aspirants to focus throughout the preparation phase.
To avoid distractions during the preparation phase, one must follow the syllabus very judicially. The BPSC syllabus 2022-23 is set by the Bihar State Public Service Commission. In spite of minor variations in the nature and procedure of the examination, the syllabus of UPSC CSE has also played a significant role in the examination conducted by BPSC.
Table of Contents
BPSC Exam Pattern
Like the other State service commission and UPSC exams, BPSC also conducts the combined competitive BPSC exam in three stages. In the below section, you can check all three phases of the exam with a detailed analysis.
- Preliminary Examination – One objective type paper of 150 marks.
- Main Exam – Four Descriptive papers
- Interview – Oral
BPSC Prelims Exam Pattern
Like other prelims exams, the BPSC prelim is a qualifying exam, conducted to figure out the nonserious candidates. The shortlisted candidates of BPSC prelims are called for BPSC mains. It must be noted that the marks of the Prelims examination are not taken into consideration for the final shortlisting of candidates.
|Name of Exam||Combined Competitive Exam|
|Conducting Body||Bihar Public Service Commission (BPSC)|
|Total No. of Papers||1- General Studies (150 Marks)|
|BPSC Syllabus||1. General Science|
2. Events of National and International importance
3. History of Bihar and Indian History
4. Geography (mostly from the Geography of Bihar)
5. Indian Polity and Economy
6. Changes in the post-independence economy of Bihar
7. Indian National Movement and the contribution and role of Bihar
8. General Mental Ability
Points to Remember:
- The BPSC Prelims exam is just qualifying in nature.
- Unlike other State Public Service Commission exams, there is no negative marking in this exam.
- The aspirants have to score only minimum marks that will decide by the Commission itself.
BPSC Syllabus 2022-23 for Prelims
The paper on general studies (GS-1) will include the topics and subtopics under the following field of knowledge.
- General Science- Basic understanding of science, including the matter of day-to-day observation and experience. The aspirants do not require specific specialization in any disciple of science.
- Polity and economy- India’s political system, Panchayati Raj, community development, planning in India and Bihar. The economy of India and Bihar (Post-independence).
- Geography- Geography of India and Bihar. The physical, social and economic geography of India and Bihar. The main features of Indian agriculture and Natural resources.
- History- The aspirants must have a broad understanding of the subject under social, economic, and political aspects. The history of Bihar must be covered broadly. In Indian National Movement, the focus must be on the nature and character of 19th-century resurgence, growth of nationalism, and attainment of Independence. The role of Bihar in the freedom movement of India.
- General Mental ability questions- to test the general mental ability of aspirants.
- Current Affairs- Current events of national and international importance.
BPSC Mains Exam Pattern 2022
After qualifying for the prelims examination based on the minimum cutoff marks decided by the commission, the candidates are called for the BPSC mains examination. Since the BPSC preliminary examination is of qualifying in nature, the score of any candidate who gets into it does not play any role in the Mains examination. The only qualifying examination in Mains is Hindi, carrying 100 marks. Apart from Hindi, both General study-1 and General study-2 carry 300 marks each. The candidates have to score maximum in them as these papers decide the merit list. Apart from GS-1 and GS-2, candidates have to choose an optional paper, while filling out the BPSC application form. The optional paper carries 300 marks.
BPSC Syllabus 2022 for Mains Exam
BPSC mains syllabus 2022 for the papers of Hindi, General studies-1, General studies-2, and Optional paper is as follows.
General Hindi (Qualifying paper)
As discussed above, the general Hindi paper is qualifying in nature. Having a high school Hindi book by the Bihar School Education Board (BSEB) is enough for it. The paper is subjective in nature, carrying 100 marks.
The below table shows the marks distribution of General Hindi.
General Studies Paper 1 and 2
The General Studies paper is divided into two parts General Studies-1 and General Studies-2, each carrying 300 marks. The marks of these two papers and including the optional paper, play a crucial role in the final merit list of candidates.
The syllabus of the BPSC Mains General Studies paper is as follows.
|General Studies-1||General Studies-2|
|1. Modern history of India and Indian Culture||Indian Polity|
|2. Current events of National and International importance||Indian Economy and Geography|
|3. Statistical Analysis, graphs, and diagrams||The role and impact of science and technology in the development of India|
BPSC syllabus for Mains (General Studies-1)
|The modern history of India and Indian Culture|
- Modern History- Introduction and expansion of Western education (including technical education).
- Bihar’s role in the freedom struggle of India.
- Role of Mahatma Gandhi, Rabindra Nath Tagore, and Jawahar Lal Nehru.
- The Santhal Uprising.
- 1857 the war of independence.
- Birsa Movement.
- Champaran Satyagrah.
- Quit India Movement 1942.
- Indian Culture- Chief features of Mauryan art and Pal art.
- Patna Qulam Painting.
|Statistical Analysis, Graph, and Diagrams|
- Statistical, Graphical, and Diagrammatic Questions test the candidates’ ability to draw conclusions from the information presented in graphs, statistics, and so on. To judge the candidates’ ability to point out limitations, deficiencies, or inconsistencies.
BPSC syllabus for Mains (General Studies-2)
- Political System of India.
- The political system of Bihar.
|Economy and Geography of India|
- Planning in India.
- The physical, economic, and social geography of India and Bihar.
|Science and Technology|
- The role and impact of science and technology in India and Bihar in the context of applied sciences.
BPSC Optional Syllabus
In the BPSC mains, the candidates have to choose one optional subject of their interest, carrying 300 marks. The list of 34 optional subjects is as follows.
- English language and Literature.
- Urdu language and Literature.
- Hindi language and Literature.
- Persian language and Literature.
- Arabian language and Literature.
- Pali language and Literature.
- Maithili language and Literature.
- Bangla language and Literature.
- Sanskrit language and Literature.
- Political Science and International Relations.
- Public Administration.
- Labour and Social Welfare.
- Mechanical Engineering.
- Geography. (Detailed geography syllabus at Geography4u.com)
- Civil Engineering.
- Commerce and Accountancy.
- Electrical Engineering.
- Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science.
Kindly refer to the complete optional syllabus of all the subjects by clicking the below button.